POLITICAL SCIENCE & INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS SYLLABUS FOR IAS MAINS
The following is the syllabus for Political Science – Main Examination – Paper I and Paper II
POLITICAL SCIENCE FOR UPSC MAIN SYLLABUS - PAPER - I
Political Theory and Indian Politics
- Political Theory: meaning and approaches.
- Theories of the State: Liberal, Neo-liberal, Marxist, Pluralist, Post-colonial and feminist.
- Justice: Conceptions of justice with special reference to Rawl’s theory of justice and its communitarian critiques.
- Equality: Social, political and economic; relationship between equality and freedom; Affirmative action.
- Rights: Meaning and theories; different kinds of rights; concept of Human Rights.
- Democracy: Classical and contemporary theories; different models of democracy – representative, participatory and deliberative.
- Concept of power, hegemony, ideology and legitimacy.
- Political Ideologies: Liberalism, Socialism, Marxism, Fascism, Gandhism and Feminism.
- Indian Political Thought : Dharamshastra, Arthashastra and Buddhist traditions ; Sir Syed Ahmed Khan, Sri Aurobindo, M.K. Gandhi, B.R. Ambedkar, M.N. Roy