DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS ANALYSIS
14th February 2022
|. No.||Topic Name||Prelims/Mains|
|1.||WHAT IS THE PROVISION OF POLL PLEAS||Prelims & Mains|
|2.||ALL ABOUT VACCINE HESITANCY||Prelims & Mains|
|3.||WHAT IS THE GAGANYAAN MISSION||Prelims & Mains|
|4.||DIFFERENT CABINET COMMITTEES||Prelims & Mains|
|5.||WHAT IS ‘IN FLIGHT WIFI’||Prelims Specific|
1 – WHAT IS THE PROVISION OF POLL PLEAS:
Topic – Electoral reforms
- Electoral Petition/Poll Pleas Information:
- The Election Commission’s role ends with the announcement of the results; after that, a voter or candidate who suspects election fraud has just one legal recourse: filing an election petition.
- To protest the results, such a person might submit an election petition with the High Court of the state in which the constituency is located.
- The petition must be filed within 45 days following the poll results or it will be rejected by the courts.
- Despite the fact that the Representative of the People Act (RP Act) of 1951 requires the High Court to complete the trial in six months or less, it usually takes considerably longer, even years.
- The grounds for filing an election petition are specified in Section 100 of the RP Act:
- On election day, the winning candidate was ineligible to run for office.
- The victorious candidate, his poll agent, or anybody else with the winning candidate’s approval has engaged in a corrupt practise.
- Accepting or rejecting a nomination improperly based on the winner candidate’s nomination.
- Malpractice in the counting process, such as erroneous reception, refusal or rejection of any vote, or receiving a void vote.
- Noncompliance with the Constitution, the RP Act, and any RP Act-related laws or orders.
- If the petitioner wins (under Section 84 of the RP Act), the petitioner has the option of having the results of all or some of the winning candidates declared void.
- Furthermore, if the petition is filed by a candidate, she (or any other candidate) may ask the court to proclaim her (or any other candidate) the winner or properly elected.
- The court may order a new election or declare a new winner if the petitioner wins an election petition.
- In the past, election results have been declared null and void:
- The Allahabad High Court decision of 1975, for example, annulled Indira Gandhi’s four-year-old election from the Rae Bareli constituency due to alleged corruption.
- Provisions of the 1951 RP Act include the following:
- It governs the conduct of elections and by-elections.
- It provides the administrative infrastructure for elections to be held.
- It has to do with the registration of political parties.
- Bribery, coercion, and the appeal to vote or not vote on the basis of religion, race, community, or language are all types of corrupt practises outlined in Section 123 of the RP Act.
- It lays out the prerequisites for House membership as well as the disqualifications.
- It covers anti-corruption and anti-crime legislation.
- It explains how to deal with election-related concerns and controversies.
- Source – ECI Website
2 – ALL ABOUT VACCINE HESITANCY
Topic – Health related issues
- The following are some of the reasons why people should get vaccinated:
- Immunization’s main purpose is to protect patients from dangerous diseases.
- Immunization, when done on a large scale, also protects communities by establishing ‘herd immunity.’
- Vaccines against polio, smallpox, meningitis, and other diseases have been very successful all throughout the world.
- Why is it necessary to reduce vaccination-related apprehension:
- According to a Gallup poll conducted before to the immunisation roll-out in 2020, 18 percent of Indians said they would not take the vaccine.
- Since then, however, vaccine fear has grown in India, owing to mostly overblown claims of difficulties or even deaths.
- Vaccine apprehension has far-reaching consequences.
- If natural immunity does not emerge, disease outbreaks and pandemics will be the norm.
- The lower the vaccination rate, the greater the spread of disease and the greater the likelihood of mutations and new variants.
- Vaccine hesitancy can be triggered by a number of circumstances, including:
- One of the driving variables is a lack of understanding of the scope of benefits.
- Fears that are based on false information.
- Vaccines are difficult to come by.
- There is a lot of disinformation out there, especially on social media.
- Other factors include conceptions of civil freedoms, cost, cultural barriers, and numerous layers of confidence deficiency.
- Source – WHO Website
3 – WHAT IS THE GAGANYAAN MISSION
Topic – Science and Technology related topics
- The mission is as follows:
- Gaganyaan is an Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) project (ISRO).
- According to the Gaganyaan programme, three Gaganyaan aircraft will be sent into orbit.
- There will be two unmanned flights and one human spaceflight.
- The Gaganyaan system module, termed the Orbital Module, would be home to three Indian astronauts, one of whom is a woman.
- It will orbit Earth in a low-earth-orbit at a distance of 300-400 kilometres for 5-7 days.
- The payload will include a crew module, which will be a spaceship that will transport humans.
- The service module is powered by two liquid propellant engines.
- It will be able to escape in an emergency and abort missions.
- Because of its payload capabilities, the three-stage heavy lift launch vehicle GSLV Mk III, also known as the LVM-3 (Launch Vehicle Mark-3), will be used to launch Gaganyaan.
- Gaganyaan Mission International Collaboration:
- In Russia, astronauts will receive training.
- In June 2019, the ISRO’s Human Space Flight Centre and the Russian government’s Glavkosmos inked a training deal that includes Russian support in applicant selection, medical evaluation, and space training.
- On board the Il-76MDK plane, the applicants will study the systems of the Soyuz manned spacecraft in depth and receive training in short-term weightlessness.
- The Soyuz is a Russian spacecraft. The Soyuz is an international spacecraft that delivers personnel and supplies to and from the International Space Station.
- For trainee astronauts and space tourists, the Il-76MDK is a military transport plane with parabolic flight capability.
- Gaganyaan Mission’s Importance:
- It will contribute to the country’s growth in science and technology, as well as motivate young people.
- Gaganyaan will involve a number of agencies, laboratories, specialties, enterprises, and departments.
- It will aid in the expansion of the industrial sector.
- As part of steps aimed at promoting private participation in the space industry, the government has announced the foundation of IN-SPACe.
- It will aid in the growth of technology for the greater good of society.
- It will contribute to bettering international cooperation.
- It’s likely that a single International Space Station (ISS) created by a group of countries won’t be enough. Gaganyaan will concentrate on regional necessities such as food, water, and energy security, all of which will need the creation of regional ecosystems.
- Other upcoming Indian projects include:
- India has unveiled preparations for a new moon expedition called Chandrayaan-3. It is scheduled to premiere in early 2021.
- Shukrayaan Mission: The ISRO is also working on a Venus mission, dubbed Shukrayaan.
- Source – ISRO Website
4 – DIFFERENT CABINET COMMITTEE
Topic – Parliament related topics
- Committees of the Cabinet:
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet.
- The Cabinet’s Accommodation Committee.
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs
- The legislative process is overseen by the Cabinet Committee on Parliamentary Affairs.
- Cabinet’s Political Affairs Committee.
- Cabinet’s Security Committee.
- The Cabinet Committee on Investment and Growth is one of the Cabinet’s subcommittees.
- The Cabinet Committee on Employment and Skill Development is in charge of monitoring the government’s employment and skill development policy.
- The Cabinet Committees are as follows:
- Except for the Cabinet Committee on Accommodation and the Cabinet Committee on Parliamentary Affairs, all committees are chaired by the Prime Minister.
- They are extra-constitutional at the time of their emergence.
- In other words, they aren’t mentioned in the Constitution. The Rules of Business, on the other hand, make it possible for them to exist.
- The Indian executive is governed by the Government of India Transaction of Business Rules, 1961.
- “The President shall adopt rules for the more convenient transaction of the Government of India’s business, and for the allocation of said business among Ministers,” says Article 77(3) of the Constitution.
- Members of the Cabinet’s Standing Committees are appointed by the Prime Minister and given specific tasks. He has the power to expand or contract the number of committees.
- Other Groups of Ministers (GoMs) have been formed to explore various issues/subjects in addition to cabinet committees.
- Source – The Hindu
5 – WHAT IS ‘IN FLIGHT WIFI’:
Topic – Science and Technology
- What is the protocol for connecting in-flight:
- In-flight connectivity systems use both terrestrial and satellite internet services.
- Once flight mode is activated, the plane’s antenna will connect to terrestrial Internet services provided by telecom service providers.
- Once the aeroplane reaches a height of 3,000 metres, the antenna will switch to satellite-based services.
- Internet access will not be interrupted for passengers, and cross-interference between terrestrial and satellite networks will be avoided.
- Upcoming challenges:
- Airlines will cover the first cost of installing antennae aboard planes. As a result, the higher cost may be reflected in ticket prices.
- Aside from the equipment, the increased weight and drag generated by the antenna will result in greater fuel costs for aeroplanes.
- Due to technology and rules, calls can be made from planes, although many airlines do not want noisy cabins.
- Passengers may make phone calls and access the internet while travelling on more than 30 airlines across the world. This service will now help Indian airlines compete against international carriers.
- Business travellers love these services because they allow them to continue working without interruption.
- Source – The Hindu