March 12th current affair update
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Current Affairs International Affairs prelims
TOPIC: GS 3 Conservation, Environmental Pollution and Degradation, Environmental Impact Assessment. EIA
What is the news?
The Supreme Court notices to the centre on a public interest plea to set up a national environmental regulator under the Environmental (protection) act 1986
Need for regulator
- Official government policy privileges ease of doing business
- The draft Environmental Impact policy Assessment (EIA), notification 2020 seeks to eliminate civil society role
- Policy does not encourage the public to voice its view and report violations, while independent scrutiny of proposal is weakened
- In the Lafarge mining case were SC ordered for independent regulator ,while centre replied that it was only in nature of suggestion
- There is rising conflict arising from pressure on scare of land and ecosystem from polluting projects that are created cluster from industrial location that are doing badly in Comprehensive Environmental Pollution Index
- Clearance of large coal based power plants in recent years. eg : Kanpur , Cuddalore and Angul in Odisha.
The remedy lies in administrative reform. It would be feasible to produce a whitelist of land for industry, reclaiming polluted areas. Multiple departments must work in tandem with inclusion of voice of civil societies.
How does the draft Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) Notification, 2020 differ from the existing EIA Notification, 2006? (UPSC 2020)
TOPIC: GS 3 Science and Technology- Developments and their Applications and Effects in Everyday Life.
Diagnosing gestational diabetes
What is the news?
The international diabetes federation estimates that up to 25% of pregnancies in south Asia may be affected by hyperglycemia in pregnancy. In India it varies from 10% in rural area to about 30% in urban areas.
What is Gestational diabetes?
- Gestational diabetes is a condition in which blood sugar levels become high during pregnancy.
- It is associated with significantly increased risk of complication during pregnancy such as preeclampsia ( fits during pregnancy), prolonged and obstructed labour , need for assisted delivery ,postpartum haemorrhage and sepsis, still birth and premature delivery
- It also increased risk of neonatal death due to respiratory distress , neonatal hypo glycaemia and birth injuries
- Women with gestational diabetes risk to type 2 diabetes within 10 years and also cardiovascular diseases
The World health organisation, the IDF and the International federation of gynecology and obstetrics have approved single test procedure. The National Gestational Diabetes Awareness Day on March 10th.
What is gestational diabetes? Discuss its impact.
TOPIC: GS 2 Bilateral, Regional and Global Groupings and Agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests.
The US administration pushes for an interim unity government
What is the news?
The Joe Biden administration has proposed a new peace plan to afghan government and Taliban seeking to bring violence to the halt.
- It proposed a UN led conference of representatives of Russia, China, Pakistan , Iran , India and us to discuss a unified approach
- Written proposal with the Tailban to accelerate talks. it urges both sides to reach a consensus on Afghanistan future constitutional and governmental arrangements
- Agree on terms of permanent and comprehensive ceasefire
- Proposed senior level meeting of afghan government and Taliban in turkey
- Continuation of financial assistance
Future course of action
The best way to prevent a complete Taliban takeover is a regional peace process and interim unit government with legitimate representation
- Environmental impact assessment
Environmental assessment is the assessment of the environmental consequences of a plan, policy, program, or actual projects prior to the decision to move forward with the proposed action. It is usually used when applied to actual projects by individuals or companies and the term “strategic environmental assessment” (SEA) applies to policies, plans and programmes most often proposed by organs of state. The Hydropower Sustainability Assessment Protocol is a sector-specific method for checking the quality of Environmental and Social assessments and management plans.
Source : https://www.thehindu.com/opinion/editorial/regulation-redux-the-hindu-editorial-on-the-supreme-court-query-on-an-environment-watchdog/article34039072.ece
- WE Hub ties up with Australian government
WE Hub, India first and only state led incubator to foster and promote women entrepreneurship to start up scale up and accelerate with global market access ,an announced ‘UP surge’, with Australian government
UP surge is a pre incubation programme to aid women entrepreneurs from across India to achieve financial independence
- Work on floating solar power plant
The country’s biggest floating solar power plant till date by generation capacity developed by NTPC in the reservoir of its thermal plant at Ramagundam in Telangana.
Source : https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/telangana/indias-biggest-floating-solar-plant-to-be-commissioned-in-next-three-months/article34036031.ece
NTPC Limited, formerly known as National Thermal Power Corporation Limited, is an Indian Public Sector Undertaking, engaged in the business of generation of electricity and allied activities. It is a company incorporated under the Companies Act 1956 and is promoted by the Government of India.
NTPC’s core business is the generation and sale of electricity to state-owned power distribution companies and State Electricity Boards in India. The total installed capacity of the company is 62,110 MW (including 11,755 MW through JVs/Subsidiaries) across the country, (24 Coal based stations, 7 gas based stations, 1 Hydro station, 1 small hydro, 11 Solar PV and 1 Wind based Station) and 25 Joint Venture stations (9 coal based, 4 gas based, 8 hydro, 1 small hydro 2 Wind and 1 Solar PV).
Source : https://www.ntpc.co.in/
- Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority
The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) is an autonomous, statutory body tasked with regulating and promoting the insurance and re-insurance industries in India. It was constituted by the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority Act, 1999, an Act of Parliament passed by the Government of India. The agency’s headquarters are in Hyderabad, Telangana, where it moved from Delhi in 2001.
IRDAI is a 10-member body including the chairman, five full-time and four part-time members appointed by the government of India.
Source : https://www.financialexpress.com/opinion/the-changing-face-of-insurance-distribution/2169014/
The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) is an international organisation of seven nations of South Asia and Southeast Asia. The BIMSTEC member states – Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and Thailand – are among the countries dependent on the Bay of Bengal. Fourteen priority sectors of cooperation have been identified and several BIMSTEC centres have been established to focus on those sectors. A BIMSTEC free trade agreement is under negotiation also referred to as the mini SAARC. The BIMSTEC Permanent Secretariat at Dhaka
Source : https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/5-nation-exercise-to-focus-on-heritage-structures-protection/article30784957.ece
- Consider the following statement with reference to Gestational diabetes
- Gestational diabetes is a condition in which blood sugar levels become high during fasting
- It may lead to higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes later in life
Select the correct statement using code given below.
(a). 1only (b) 2 only
(c). Both are correct (d). None of the above
A form of high blood sugar affecting pregnant women. Those who develop gestational diabetes are at higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes later in life. In most cases, there are no symptoms. A blood sugar test during pregnancy is used for diagnosis.
Treatment strategies include daily blood sugar monitoring, a healthy diet, exercise and monitoring the baby. If blood sugar is too high, medication is required.
- Consider the following statement with reference to BIMSTEC
- A BIMSTEC free trade agreement is under negotiation also referred to as the mini SAARC.
- The BIMSTEC member states includes Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Myanmar, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and Thailand
Select the correct statement using code given below.
(a). 1only (b).1 and 2
(c). 2and 3 (d). None of the above
Answer : A
The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) is an international organisation of seven nations of South Asia and Southeast Asia, housing 1.5 billion people and having a combined gross domestic product of $3.5 trillion (2018). The BIMSTEC member states – Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and Thailand – are among the countries dependent on the Bay of Bengal.
Fourteen priority sectors of cooperation have been identified and several BIMSTEC centres have been established to focus on those sectors. A BIMSTEC free trade agreement is under negotiation, also referred to as the mini SAARC. Leadership is rotated in alphabetical order of country names. The permanent secretariat is in Dhaka, Bangladesh.